API SOLUBILITY - BIOAVAILABILITY
In collaboration with the University of Ghent, Labo Smeets has realised a new process in pharmaceutical extrusion technology, which enables us to make highly soluble granules.
Continuous granulation creates new opportunities. Contact us for more innovative projects.
Making water soluble granules for drugs:
(Bio Classification System (BCS))
- Class II (poorly soluble, highly permeable)
- Class IV (poorly soluble, poorly permeable)
International patent positions held by the University of Ghent, Belgium.
TWIN SCREW TECHNOLOGY
Technology used in plastic technology, mainly for the production of master batches.
- Master batches have a high load of ingredients in the polymer matrix
- Example: Titaniumdioxide in a polyethylene matrix for white coloring
- Intense and effective blending
- Continuous granulation process
- Absence of solvents
- Small batches possible
- Low temperature operation
- No milling necessary after extrusion
- No-upscaling of production process necessary
- Drug loading up to 50% instead of standard 20%
The final product is a soft watersoluble granule.
ABOUT LABO SMEETS
The company was founded in 1973 by Mr Smeets as a family-owned company at Deurne Belgium, and has from the beginning focused on the production of pharmaceutical powders. In 2004, the company was bought by private investors, the name “Laboratoria Smeets” was kept.
Due to a strong growth in demand, a new site (Neerland site) was built in 2004, focussing on the mixing activities of powders and liquids. Our state of the art laboratory is also located at this site. In 2014 a third site was custom build for one customer.
Medicated drinking water such as antibiotics and analgesics.
Water soluble for oral delivery, improving bioavailability.
Potential for old molecules
New application enables new stage in life cycle.